Target audience

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Target audience

Post  Pendra on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 am

First order of business: Who will be the target audience?
Consider that most of the intelligent people were driven away by the dull and boring grind.
The majority of the players are the people who like mindless pew pew and doesn't want to read at all.
Then there are the canon people and the non-canon people. The JJ Trek fans and the Old Trek fans. The purists and the casuals. The ones who like looooong missions and the ones who prefer 30 mins. There are the 15 years olds and the 51 years olds....

You know you can't please everyone.

Pendra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Target audience

Post  AJStoner on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 pm

From my perspective our target audience should be ourselves. As soon as you start playing to demographics you have already surrendered the artistic high ground.
AJStoner
Admin

View user profile http://foundryforward.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  hippiejohn on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 pm

So, with the stated intent of the project within what I like to call the "Call To Arms" of your original posting about all this, being making a featured series type thing better than Cryptic has, then some compromise of artistic vision is indeed called for. AND it is incredibly important to think about target audience for both design reasons and marketing reasons as well.

I believe our target audience is the STO player that hasn't had a featured series since the 2800, and is simply jonesing for story content.
5 missions produced and ready to go before we release the first one.
Once a week , just like a feature series.

We shouldn't aim at any specific type of player. The grinders might just like it as a weekly 40 minute diversion from their grinding. Some will love it some will hate it. But our target audience should simply be the average STO player.

We should think about what things people find fun and exciting and try and include all the various types of challenges in our missions, to appeal to every kind of player. There should be a mostly space episode, a ground mission, an investigation, puzzles, negotiation, politics, intrique, etc.

Anyway.
I have another post to write in another section of the website Smile

- HJ

hippiejohn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AJStoner on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Fair point. There should be some constraints in place, for example I think the missions should be kept at a general 40 minute length, plus or minus 10 here and there. Also, while I like non-combat missions and think these should be primarily story-driven pieces, we should avoid completely diplomatic missions as a little over-specialized.
AJStoner
Admin

View user profile http://foundryforward.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniela Wildcat on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 pm

I would also say: don't try to focus on one or some special audiences, have fun with creating and evolving the story, the audience will build itself around it if the content is made with enthusiasm, fun creating it and love.

Daniela Wildcat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top